Do you know that your Kidneys…?
- Weigh less than 1% of your body weight?
- Receive 20% of the blood that is pumped by your heart?
- Filter 180 litres of fluids per day to produce 2 litres of urine?
- Maintain your body’s internal environment constant?
- Remove harmful wastes from your body via urine?
- Produce certain essential hormones?
- Erythropoietin which stimulates the bone marrow to produce red blood cells
- Renin to regulate blood pressure
- Activate Vitamin D to produce calcitriol which helps maintain calcium balance in the bones.